Tuesday, June 22, 2010

An Open Letter to President-elect Noynoy Aquino

From a concerned blogger and student,

During those times when election campaigns were always on the spotlight, I did not perceive that you will be our next leader; maybe because I relied on rumors of you not passing any Bill to Congress which I thought was one powerful weapon to please and convince the Filipino public. But the Cory-Ninoy magic worked; I was definitely wrong. Admittedly, your campaign ads were abstract and unimaginable.  I think everyone knows that. Ideal, but forget about it. You defeated all the other contenders, fair and square (I hope), and earned the highest government position in the country. (Yes Sir, you earned it). Well, what can I do? The people chose you. You're my leader now. The youth sees you as their role model. (I'm predicting an increase in demand for cigarettes). My mind speaks that I have to beat you when I reach your age. I look up to you now, I think.

Now that those advertisements, those expensive tours, and those promising words are now at the brink of public amnesia, I want to remind you Sir that your leadership's what our fellowmen seek. Our people look forward to what you and your Administration will do (not just "might do") to bring prosperity to our people. No, I'm not talking about corruption.

Hello? If you plan to steal, please don't do it in public. C'mon, share it to everyone. You'll make the Reds angry.  I know you cannot please everyone (as I too can't) so please be wise in your decisions.  Don't just appoint someone because of utang na loob. Moreover, your political advisers are not the President; they shouldn't be dictating to you what you should do.

Please prove to the world that there is still hope for significant progress in protecting human rights and bringing back peace to the violent south. I fully support the statements stated in an open letter to you from concerned groups in Australia and New Zealand.

The open letter demands that:
To restore the public’s faith in the justice system and build up confidence for the peace process, we ask you to take steps to:
1. Immediately release the 43 health workers and all political prisoners who remain in unjust detention on purely fabricated charges under the campaign of political repression of the Arroyo presidency.
2. End Arroyo’s Oplan Bantay Laya and all forms of repressive campaigns against trade unions, peasant groups and all legal mass organisations critical of corruption, military abuses, economic plunder and anti-poor policies of the government.
3. Promote greater protection of media workers and undo the efforts to make the Ampatuans go scot-free for the 25th November 2009 massacre that claimed the lives of the biggest number of journalists in a single day.
4. Ensure justice for all victims of extra-judicial killings and enforced disappearances. Prosecute the main perpetrators of rights abuses like the notorious Gen. Jovito Palparan.
5. Order the opening of all military detention camps and facilities for the kin and human rights advocates to search for victims of enforced disappearances.
6. Fulfill the long-overdue compensation for surviving victims of the Marcos dictatorship.
Political power is still imminent in the hands of the public's major traitors. I don't want to see puppets and puppeteers. You know what I mean, Sir.

Lastly, I request from you Mr. President to hear the voices of the majority (not just the elite) and help alleviate poverty incidences (not just by eliminating corruption 'cause I don't think you can), but by providing everyone access to education and creating a lot of jobs. 

I've heard this so many times. I would just like to say that our people's hopes are in your hands (so stop  that hyped puffing), your excellency. We are with you (I guess); please don't ruin our trust. Please don't fail us (for the nth time).

Hope this reaches you.

(Apologies for the informality of this message)

No comments: